Anything that needs to have a desired shape, size, structure, function, process and result, needs to have a design. It’s very much the same with the development of programs and projects. The design of a program/project includes all of the basic information about the program/project such as:
- the existing issues in the target area;
- issues that will be directly and indirectly addressed by the program/project;
- the level of detail to which issues will be looked at;
- the agreed goal;
- the outcomes that are necessary to realise the goal;
- things that have to be delivered by the stakeholders;
- the activities and inputs;
- the resources; and
- time frame and benefits.
A good design will include detailed plans of monitoring & evaluation and the method for carrying out said monitoring & evaluation.